Wednesday, 2 December 2009

Brief. LIIAR.

Music magazine brief; the main task is to create a front page spread, contents page and a double page spread of a music magazine. In addition and to my advantage I will consider the college magazine I created and use similar conventions and terminology. I will study differential genres and styles of music in order to find an ideal genre to base my music magazine on. All of the texts and images used must be original, therefore after studying the genres of music I can then start to take images, as I can relate them to the stereotype of the genre. Additionally I can do the same whilst creating the text for example if I was to do an interview on the double page spread and overall I chose to base my magazine on a Rock genre their answers would be phrased differently as if I focused on a Pop genre. The magazine must be created using a desk top publisher and an image manipulation programme.

I will analyse a range of differential music magazines, I will chose magazines containing information of parallel music genres. In particular I will be focusing on the key conventions; media terminology; the representation; language; institution; audience and ideology of the magazines. I will analyse and evaluate three front covers, contents pages and double page spreads, this is advantageous as I can develop a clear understanding of what needs to be including during the creating of my individual music magazine.

Language; the language includes the terminology used to create the overall product being the magazine front cover, contents page and double page spread. The terminology includes the masthead, headlines, cover line, splash line, plugs and strap lines. In order for my own creation to look professional I will need to use a variety of language terminology, to my advantage this will connect with the audience and engage the readers.

Institutions; the institutions are the companies which produce the magazines; it is an organisation for example a media company which controls the producing of magazine companies. An example of an institution would be a television channel or radio station. Another example would be Emap; this controls individual music magazines for example Q magazine and Kerrang. Already I have looked through Q magazines during media lessons and have found them extremely helpful. I will be using Q throughout my planning and the creation of the music magazine.

Ideology; the ideology are the values and morals of the target audience, their ideas reflect what companies do through our ideas; the ideology is the institution of the magazine and what it follows. For example, a music magazines main focus would a performance or an individual or band within the music industry. Ideally my focus will be on an individual within the music genre, hopefully focusing on pop music.

Audience; the audience are the consumers of the media product; therefore the product in which I am going to create must apply to a market type. Usual magazines for example a woman’s weekly magazine can easily be attracted to a number of target markets, however in contrast a music magazine usually only attracts a niche market, this is due to the differential styles and genres within music.

Representation; the representation represents society back to the audience through the creation of a product. The representations include the culture and stereotypes of music within a magazine. The magazine usually corresponds to a target audience with the imagery used, for example stereotypically “pop” music is popular music which is ordinary and in the charts every week. I will study pop music as this is the genre I want to base my magazine on.

Masthead title piece
Price; Price of the magazine
Date; Date in which the magazine was published
Issue Number; The number of how many magazines have been issued
Bar code; An electronic pricing system
Kicker; Kicker titles, kick you into reading further into the magazine
Teller; explaining what the kickers are about
Anchorage; holds down the imagery
Teaser; A phrase which acts to grab the reader’s attention
Main Feature/ Headline; The main story featured within the magazine
Subtitle; Smaller headlines which summarise the feature
Smaller Feature; Features included in the magazine
Image; Long shot, media shot etc
Colour schemes; Do they work well together, stand out?
Offers/adverts Blurb – “Free CD”

Different Music Genres
Rock
Pop
Electronic and Dance
Metal
Jazz
Punk

No comments:

Post a Comment