Thursday, 22 October 2009

Evaluation

My initial task was to create a magazine front cover and include a contents page, I feel that I did this successfully however with some errors which I would have changed if there was enough time, however as this being part of the first piece of work, I will work on the errors which need improvement and ensure I won’t make the same mistakes in future projects. I had to take into consideration conventions which would apply to my target audience.

Firstly I included all the necessary conventions that a usual magazine would have, for example a typical masthead title as well as an image used specifically taken for the magazine and to attract to the correct target audience, the conventions were then modified slightly to fully interact with the chosen target audience, I feel that I completed this very well, and that the imagery and lexis chosen would attract an ideal audience. I chose to portray the magazine to college students; I did this as I found when analysing both magazine covers, the college magazine appealed to me more rather than the school magazine, my specific target audience were students aged between sixteen and nineteen. The conventions were also modified to attract to the genre of magazine, the particular genre is a college magazine, I modified the language to attract more to a younger audience, as well as changing the sub headings to topics which would interact more to a student lifestyle as well as to interact with college activities. In my opinion I believe that analysing and comparing the two magazines helped me to complete the structure of the magazine as well as helping me to suit the particular genre, and pull out the ideology and representations, which I used to complete the overall front cover and contents page of the magazine “Varsity”.

I collected different Logos as initial planning to make the masthead, I used different Logos and compared them, I considered the use of colour and images, after comparing them I decided to collect a range of individual images and group them together to make one Logo. The images I collected included old fashioned styled crests, I did this to illustrate an idea of historical memory with the college for example portraying the college had been open for a very long time and still works as a college should. This was the ideology I wanted to portray, a college that has been open for a long time and works efficiently. I used different rages of fonts for the magazine masthead, overall I decided to use a black and white colour scheme, the scheme portrays a serious image and would be perfect for a magazine layout. I copied and pasted the masthead name into a word document and in the end chose my favourite layout for the masthead, I then print screened the results and they are portrayed on the blog underneath Planning. A black border has been used around the masthead, to again portray a sense of seriousness and professionalism. I am very pleased with the overall masthead of the product as it is unique however if I was to complete the task again I would use different imagery, and a different font, however I would keep the colour. I would use a dafont font for the title if I was to complete it again to match with the overall font of the Magazine.

The main overall colour scheme of my Magazine was Black and white, I used different shades of black, grey and white for the masthead, sub headings and the fonts of the Magazine, however If I was to complete the magazine again I would use a varied amount of colour as I feel without the use of imagery it targeted towards more of a female group of students rather than both sex groups which is the result I wanted to illustrate. I used three different shades; therefore the result was easy on the eye and wouldn’t confuse the audience. I used a neutral background as I found this very appealing and ensured that the picture and fonts stood out. I used all one colour to portray an idea of instant recognition, the colour scheme all being the same shows that students would instantly recognise this, it also illustrates a professional image. However If I was to complete the magazine again I would use a darker coloured background but use less sub headings and lexis.

For the overall focus of the magazine I used images taken by myself, I took many images and compared each one to see which one I wanted to use and which one related to the idea of the magazine, I used images of males and females, however I used the female image overall as I feel it gave the magazine a balance to orientate to both female and male socio groups, I also chose the image which related to the target age group, the first image I took was of my younger sister in her school uniform I thought the image would look smart however when I uploaded it , It didn’t fit the correct criteria and appealed more to a younger audience, I would have used the image if I had chosen to do a school magazine however I did a college magazine. I am pleased with the image I used, I did a wide shot image, I chose this effect as it straight up and the ideology of the magazine is put across instantly rather than the readers having to work it out. I used examples of long shots however didn’t feel they fitted with the specification of the magazine. I edited the pictures in a photoshop to crop it down so it didn’t squash when it was reduced to fit on the cover. Finally I edited the picture in Photoshop, I changed the colour slightly however was overall happy with my chosen image. The thing I would change if I was to do the magazine again is I would use a picture including both a male and female student, therefore I would feel more confident that it attracted both audiences and wouldn’t of had to change my initial plans to use a differential range of coloured fonts. The images I used were students therefore the photos were easy to collect and were natural, I chose to have the students smiling as it would show that college is fun, as well as earning an education and gaining qualifications.

For the subheadings I used college activities and manipulated them to attract the audience, I modified the sub headings and information underneath them constantly as I felt they didn’t appeal to an audience, I felt that the sub headings I used wasn’t individual and that they could have related to any student audience however I wanted the information to apply to Varsity high students. I overcame this by including student names on the cover who attend Varsity high, I used college activities including achievements in sports, music awards and student of the month to appeal to the target audience. I used language which hopefully persuades the readers to look further and to open the magazine, Overall I am happy with the outcome of the subheadings and would only changed the font colour of them.

The last convention I included is the date and issue number of the magazine; I thought this would create a sense of professionalism as the rest of the magazine is quite laid back, however this as the effect that I wanted as it establishes the audience and persuades students to want to read it. I wanted to include a bar code as many of the magazines I looked at and compared did include a bar code, however I didn’t want the magazine to come across as over professional as it would relate more to an older audience.

If the magazine was to be distributed it would be work best in a Library, which is initially used for students, or distributed within a student canteen where students can collect the website themselves. Secondly the magazine could be sent to their located home address therefore each student sees it and can chose to join in with college activities if they wanted to.

Overall I believe that my first draft was successful, I enjoyed creating the magazine and completing this task gives me confidence and motivation to move on to the next task within the coursework, it also gives me more motivation to aspire to my ambition of magazine journalism. If I was to repeat the task again I would use a different picture, and use a different coloured font, I would do this to attract both genres of sex. Overall I am happy with the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment